Kindergarten Transition Case: Guiding Questions
- What are the appropriate goals for a nonverbal young school-aged child with
Andy’s profile of strengths and weaknesses in your area of
practice? What goals
will best support him in developing social interactions,
self-help, and academic
- What methods have an evidence base for achieving the
goals you identified?
Provide a description of the methods and citations of the evidence for them.
- What social opportunities would be beneficial for Andy as well as his peers (e.g.,
full inclusion, limited inclusion, no inclusion)? How would you structure these
opportunities so that Andy benefits from them?
- What setting do you think would be most likely to lead to progress in learning for
- What does your reading suggest to you about a school program that includes
almost entirely discrete trial methods of instruction? What are your responses to
this reading? Is this an ethical issue?
- Should the question of cost enter into decisions about placement for Andy? Why
or why not? How would you weigh the cost of programs in
recommendation to parents about what would be best for his placement next
year? The effect of an outside placement on the budget
for other children in
- How would you discuss placement options with Andy’s parents?
To download this document, click here.